Keep Warm





medieval wall


Nat’s tips for keeping warm.

At this moment as I write it is raining slushy snow and sometimes hail out there on the wet, black cobblestoned streets.

If I had a fireplace I would do nothing all day but sit by it and write.  I am a heat monger.

Instead I wear wool and often put a shawl over my shoulders like an old Italian woman.  I choose one of velvet to keep the glamour up, plus velvet is heavy and warm to boot.

Recently I have been heating up a hot water bottle “borsa della aqua calda” hot water purse (glamour up again?).  Then the last unglamorous thing I do is jump rope.  Jumping rope completely gets the circulation going and heats me up fast.  Velvet shawl, hot water purse and jump rope and I am good to go.

On a more intellectual note, here are a few quotes from Helen Keller.  For my international readers I will briefly say she was an American author, lecturer and political activist (1880-1968). Who after an illness when she was just 19 months old became deaf and blind.  This first quote always makes me weepy.  She is an inspiration to me.

“No pessimist ever discovered the secret of the stars, or sailed to uncharted land, or opened a new doorway to the human spirit.”

“Walking with a friend in the dark is better than walking alone in the light.”

“The best most beautiful things in the world cannot be seen or even touched, they must be felt with the heart.”

Now go make a cup of tea and think about that!

Natalie

2 comments:

  1. I just found your blog and love it. You are so talented. Love the painted pots, pearl finishes and shabby chic furniture painting. Your intent to inspire is working! Keep up the good work.
    Nina in Michigan
    P.S. We love Umbria and try to visit every few years. Will be in Orvieto and Spello this fall.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nina

    Thanks so much for your encouragement. I just started it a few months back. I love the idea of a creative community around the world, each day some new country checks in. As you may know Spello is just four minutes by train to Foligno 15 on bike.
    Cheers
    Natalie

    ReplyDelete